• The Passion of the Weiss
  • Gorilla vs. Bear
  • Greencine Daily
  • Music Is Art
  • Shake Your Fist
  • Big Stereo
  • The New Yorker
  • The Torture Garden
  • Ear Farm
  • J'ai la cassette à la maison
  • The Hater
  • The Yellow Stereo
  • Movie City Indie
  • Fader
  • Covert Curiosity
  • Chromewaves
  • Sucka Pants
  • AV Club
  • Tinyways
  • Palms Out
  • Girish Shambu
  • So Much Silence
  • Heart On A Stick
  • Untitled
  • Sixeyes
  • The Documentary Blog
  • Contrast Podcast
  • Fecal Face
  • Quick, Before It Melts
  • Muzzle of Bees
  • La Blogothèque
  • The Rawking Refuses To Stop
  • Music For Kids Who Can't Read Good
  • indieWIRE
  • Gimme Tinnitus
  • Conscientious
  • Toothpaste For Dinner
  • Cable & Tweed
  • Culture Bully
  • Oceans Never Listen
  • Juxtapoz
  • I Am Fuel, You Are Friends
  • Subinev
  • Bookslut
  • Filles Sourires
  • Berkeley Place
  • Get Underground
  • Nah Right
  • Motel de Moka
  • Raven Sings The Blues
  • Fact
  • Missing Toof
  • Badical Beats
  • Clap Cowards
  • Chuckmore
  • Anthem
  • It's the right thing to do
  • Something is wrong here, something is terribly wrong
  • There ain't no life for me on land
  • The greatest #8: The Dreaming
  • Still I walk in darkness
  • Home of the cheesesteak, the beef piled sky high
  • Blogiversary #2
  • Blood rain
  • The best 15 films of 2007
  • The best 30 albums of 2007
  • The best 30 singles of 2007
  • The best 30 songs of 2007
  • The Greatest #6: Veedon Fleece
  • Behind the blog: Blogs Are For Dogs
  • It's winter again and New York's been broken
  • Blogiversary
  • Up high and ugly: Xiu Xiu MP3s
  • The Greatest #2: New Skin For The Old Ceremony
  • Behind the blog: The Passion of the Weiss
  • The best 15 films of 2006
  • Good clean fun: Clean Guns MP3s
  • Behind the blog: Music Is Art
  • United 93
  • The best 30 albums of 2006
  • The best 30 songs of 2006
  • The best 30 singles of 2006
  • The chapter in my life entitled San Francisco
  • The Up Series
  • Review #4: Ys by Joanna Newsom
  • Happy Yom Kippur
  • Rock bottom riser: Smog MP3s
  • Justin Ringle
  • Dan McGee
  • Sebastian Krueger, pt. 2
  • Sebastian Krueger, pt. 1
  • Bry Webb
  • Greg Goldberg, pt. 2
  • Greg Goldberg, pt. 1
  • Benoît Pioulard, pt. 2
  • Benoît Pioulard, pt. 1
  • Kevin O'Connor
  • Conrad Standish
  • Chris Bear
  • Owen Ashworth
  • Andrew Bujalski
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Brooklyn, NY

    The MP3s available here are for sampling purposes. Please support the artists by buying their albums and going to their shows. If you are the artist or label rep and don't want an MP3 featured, let me know. Links will otherwise stay live for about two weeks before they vanish into the ether.

    If you'd like to send music, art, writing or promo material for consideration, email me at nerdlitter[at]yahoo[dot]com. This site is designed in Firefox and may not look optimal in other browsers. You can get Firefox here.

    Powered by Blogger

    Friday, June 13, 2008

    Home of the cheesesteak, the beef piled sky high


    Photo by pwbaker

    Rap is about place, pure and simple. More than any other musical genre I can think of--more than blues, more than jazz, more than country--it absorbs and documents the world around it. You can find that geography in sound, from the manic loopiness of Yay Area hyphy to the languid drawl of Houston's Chopped and Screwed to the hybrid house-thump of Baltimore's club scene. Even more likely though, you'll hear rappers flaunting their hometowns in their lyrics like they were sitting members of the Chamber of Commerce. It's not just a point of pride however; because rap is so often rooted in autobiographical nostalgia, the cities aren't just settings for stories but become full-on characters themselves.

    Think how impossible it would be to disassociate Nas from "coming outta Queensbridge," the Roots and their Illadelph half-lives, or Lil Wayne and his "lost city of New Or-leans." Kanye West even literally personalizes his city's streets on "Homecoming," rapping: "I met this girl when I was three years old/ And what I love most, she had so much soul/ She said, 'Excuse me little homie, I know you don't know me,/ But my name is Windy, and I like to blow trees.'/ And from that point, I never blow her off." But more often, you discover the smells, sounds and sights in the sharp details rappers convey, such as Talib Kweli's iconic offering on Black Star's "Definition": "Brooklyn, New York City, where they paint murals of Biggie/ In cash we trust 'cause it's ghetto-fabulous, life look pretty/ What a pity, blunts is still fifty cents, it's intense/ Tree scents is dominant, can't be covered with incense."

    "Philly Codes," off of Nico the Beast's new solo album, No Beast So Fierce, is another potent example of civic boasting at its best. In keeping with the brotherly love theme, Clean Guns' Nico gets assists from fellow residents 2ew Gunn Ciz and Zilla Rocca, to rep his South Philly stomping grounds. 2ew Gunn Ciz wastes no time on his guest spot, laying out his intentions with this really smart pronoucement: "If it ain't the P on the fitted, you get it in the flow/ I paint my city's pictures like I'm Vincent Van Gogh/ So I don't make albums, I create a art show." Zilla also rocks his time on the mic, delivering one of his very best efforts to date. It's hard to isolate just a few good lines, but his observation, "City sleepin', row homes, phone lines squeezin',/ After twelve, you'll find a parking spot the same time you find Jesus" is especially precise and terrific.

    Lines like that also help reveal just why hometown hip-hop is so often so well-done. Because rap can veer too abstract, vague or general, speaking about specific streets and specific eras forces rappers to get particular. It enables them to tell vivid, memorable stories using all the information they intimately know. Consider this part of Nico's verse, where the toughness he generally brags about in the chorus gets a closer look: "Men will respect you here/ Eventual death is here/ Sent to the resting plot, what you expect to hear?/ The mayor is crooked too/ And he does a look at you, like, 'Where the fuck you from?'/ Maybe they'll take your jewels." With just that brief section, he provides a pretty deep characterization of Philly--everyone, it seems, from the underclass to the top officials, has to hustle to get by here.

    That weird complexity is another reason that hometown hip-hop is worth hearing. In one breath, a rapper indicts his city for its shortcomings and failings, while in the very next, pledges his proud allegiance. But it also rings true, capturing the uneasy process of coming-of-age and staying alive in some of America's roughest urban centers. When Nico observes, "Heart of the city: strong,/ Dark and it's shitty, y'all/ The projects here are pretty raw./ The jungle is hot and waiting/ And tenants are not complacent/ Our menace an occupation/ Awaiting the population," he's evoking all the tough experiences that have brought him this far. You can hear the weight of knowledge but also the profound admiration in every line he spits. That South Philly has shaped so much of his character is clear, but the fact that he, along with Zilla Rocca and 2ew Gunn Ciz, imbues Philly with so much character is the real tribute.

    * MP3: "Philly Codes" - Nico the Beast ft. Zilla Rocca and 2ew Gunn Ciz from No Beast So Fierce [Buy it]
    * MySpace: Nico the Beast
    * Previously: 2-1-5, prepare for glory
    * Previously: Regarded as great: Clean Guns MP3s
    * Previously: Good, clean fun: Clean Guns MP3s

    Comments on "Home of the cheesesteak, the beef piled sky high"

     

    Blogger Mikey McFly™ said ... (2:22 PM) : 

    Dope article

     

    Blogger The Ref said ... (6:08 PM) : 

    you were right.. i needed a hanky while reading that one

     

    Blogger vincentlopez said ... (6:31 AM) : 

    ummm...I'm biased being from West Philly and all but any mention of Philly gets me hype. "My Part of Town" by Tuff Crew is another great hometown song.

    Vincent
    thimk.wordpress.com

     

    Blogger 2ew Gunn Ciz said ... (3:51 AM) : 

    thanks for the recognition kid. we just tried to capture the essence. glad to see someone noticed. this has to be the first time I've been quoted in a title! im hype lol. peace.

     

    Anonymous buy caverta online said ... (3:35 AM) : 

    Hi,
    Like the photo.Nice photo by pwbaker.Keep it up...

     

    Anonymous cooler bags said ... (5:47 PM) : 

    I agree that handwriting can say a great deal about a person. I think that men whose handwriting in incomprehensible care only about themselves and do not value others' opinions.
    pizza bag| cooler bags| thermal bags

     

    Anonymous cooler bags said ... (5:48 PM) : 

    I agree that handwriting can say a great deal about a person. I think that men whose handwriting in incomprehensible care only about themselves and do not value others' opinions.
    pizza bag| cooler bags| thermal bags

     

    Anonymous Nature made vitamins said ... (3:02 PM) : 

    Hi, great Blog. The way you explained it is really awesome and makes everyone to read till the end. Keep posting..

     

    Anonymous organic vitamins said ... (2:24 PM) : 

    I like this article thanks for shairng it

     

    Anonymous sexshoptienda.net said ... (6:44 AM) : 

    Thanks so much for the article, quite effective information.

     

    Anonymous Buy Medicine said ... (12:06 PM) : 

    This is good site to spent time on .I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your very well written blog posts. I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

     

    Anonymous buy zolpidem online said ... (4:56 PM) : 

    Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.

     

    Anonymous buy percocet online said ... (2:33 PM) : 

    Your article looks great! Thanks for your sharing. I love it. Your article looks great! Thanks for your sharing. I love it.

     

    Anonymous buy tamiflu online said ... (2:34 PM) : 

    I'm still learning from you, but I'm trying to achieve my goals. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the information coming. I loved it!

     

    Anonymous buy adderall online said ... (7:41 PM) : 

    The positive comments and do well wishes are very motivational and greatly appreciated.

     

    Anonymous buy vicodin online said ... (1:15 PM) : 

    I really love the way information is presented in your post. I have added you in my social bookmark…and i am waiting for your next post.

     

    Anonymous Free Classified Ads said ... (11:24 AM) : 

    This piece was an inspiration for me to share with everyone I know. I must congratulate the author and the place and coming up with a beautiful creature like this.

     

    Anonymous buy online percocet said ... (6:18 PM) : 

    hello fellas, I just want to emphasize the good work on this blog, has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for.

     

    Anonymous computer repair new york said ... (10:10 AM) : 

    like it good work
    computer repair new york

     

    Anonymous buy online percocet said ... (6:52 PM) : 

    I really liked your article.

     

    Anonymous 3d ultrasounds said ... (7:56 AM) : 

    Thanks for a nice share you have given to us with such an large collection of information. Great work you have done by sharing them to all. Simply superb

     

    Blogger Abby said ... (11:22 AM) : 

    Absolutely wonderful post i really appreciate it and i wana read and increase my knowledge more buy valium online

     

    Anonymous website design perth said ... (3:56 AM) : 

    This piece was an inspiration for me to share with everyone I know. I must congratulate the author and the place and coming up with a beautiful creature like this.

     

    Anonymous the best seo company said ... (12:34 PM) : 

    Your post is superb because i am professor and I also searching some topics to teach my student smoothly here i see one of the best topics, and I hope you also share that type of knowledge in your next one.

     

    Anonymous cost effective advertising said ... (1:49 PM) : 

    Your blog is definitely worth a read if anyone comes across it. Im lucky I did because now Ive got a whole new view of this.

     

    Anonymous find doctor said ... (7:09 AM) : 

    Please one more post about that. I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

     

    Anonymous best online pharmacy said ... (5:57 PM) : 

    You are a Great while writing in the blogs it is awesome I liked it too much good and informative thanks for the sharing.

     

    Anonymous Cheap wedding dresses said ... (4:05 AM) : 

    Very happy to see your article, I very much to like and agree with your point of view. Thank you for sharing. At the same time,i love best pram very much .Welcome to look at my website and blog articles.Hope we can become good friends, and exchange and to help each other! Thanks!!

     

    Anonymous limo service in EAST Brunswick said ... (4:38 AM) : 

    Great article, it was very helpufl! I just started in this and I'm getting to know it better! Cheers, keep up the good work!

     

    Anonymous Dubai property for sale said ... (8:11 AM) : 

    I'm still learning from you, but I'm trying to achieve my goals. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the information coming. I loved it!

     

    Anonymous Create a Logo said ... (6:15 AM) : 

    Great informative post and i really likes your information, most of the peoples are likes your blog because its having the good knowledge. thanks for your good informative post.

     

    Anonymous organic supplements said ... (2:08 AM) : 

    Intimately, the post is actually the best on this laudable topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your future updates.

     

    Anonymous pay per click consultants said ... (5:18 AM) : 

    I would really admire the work and efforts you did to make this blog wonderful and spectacular

     

    Anonymous Post Free Classified ads said ... (11:09 PM) : 

    These type of content are always motivating and I want to go through quality articles so I pleased to uncover many great point here in the content

     

    Blogger 0Zero7 said ... (3:35 AM) : 

    This is a fascinating way to look at schedules. I would like to see this analysis done with further distinction by color differentiating between bowl games, conference games, and independent/out-of-conference games.

    reseller hosting

     

    Anonymous partywear lehenga saree said ... (5:25 AM) : 

    Hello there, You have done a great job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this website.

     

    Blogger Unknown said ... (6:09 PM) : 

    We are proud to say that we have the relevant exam material which we acquire after thorough analysis of most recent exams, NS0-504, OG0-093, LOT-211, Professional IT certification exams prove as a doorway to keep people update about their significant fields but at the same time it’s not an easy task to get through a certification test without appropriate training and guidance of an expert.

     

    Blogger certshome said ... (9:26 PM) : 


    We believe in the quality of our material and offer complete money back guarantee if you do not clear in first attempt, We do not add in old questions which are no longer an actual part of examination, 150-710, 301-01, 642-980, We believe in the quality of our material and offer complete money back guarantee if you do not clear in first attempt.

     

    Blogger devindennis said ... (7:23 AM) : 

    Sounding Out thanks is simply my little way of saying. Bravo for a fantastic resource. Take On my sweetest wishes for your incoming post.
    Best advertising agency in Pakistan | Buy furniture online | Office furniture catalogue

     

    Anonymous Customized office furniture said ... (7:25 AM) : 

    I just love how you write. Reading your blog for me is like sitting down and having a conversation with you. You always make me smile and you have a way with words.
    Just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know. :-)
    Cheap office furniture , Best office furniture

     

    Blogger devindennis said ... (6:12 AM) : 

    Brilliant blog posting. I begin your column actual interesting; I anticipate you are a ablaze writer. I added your blog to my bookmarks and will acknowledgment in the future..
    Home furniture | Office furniture | Office furniture catalogue |

     

    Anonymous Adults Costumes said ... (8:21 AM) : 

    this very nice blog.I just want to emphasize the good work on this blog, has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for.

     

    post a comment