Benefit show tonight @ Northsix
A few of my favorite things: independent music, drinking Brooklyn Lager, and, like, helping people and stuff. So lucky for me that tonight is Jezebelmusic.com's Annual Benefit Concert for Common Ground. It's at Northsix in Williamsburg and features a whopping eight bands for a mere fifteen bucks. The roster includes a bunch of artists I've never heard of (Black Bunny, Jaymay, Leah Siegel, Lowry), some whose names are familiar (Via Audio, Sexy Champions), and a few I'm actually vaguely knowledgeable about (Proton Proton, The Black Spoons), so anything can happen. But with that much music to choose from, you're bound to love something you hear.
Even better, the proceeds go to Common Ground's Green Design Initiative, which (cue the press release) "embrac[es] environmentally progressive housing construction in building a 263-unit supportive housing residence for low-income or formerly homeless adults, as well as a 57-unit Foyer Program for young adults who are aging out of foster or residential care, are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless." So basically, your money's going further at this show than that six-pack of PBR and pack of Camel Lights you were gonna buy otherwise. (Or fuck it, do both.)
Doors at 7:30, show at 8. Find out more about the bands playing here.
* MP3: "If You Loved Me, I'd Be Home By Now" - The Black Spoons from History of Modern Silence [Buy it]
* MP3: "I Heart Failure" - The Black Spoons from History of Modern Silence [Buy it]
* MP3: "Lock Picker" - Proton Proton from EP #1 [Buy it]
* MP3: "Plates" - Proton Proton from EP #2 [Buy it]
* Band Website: The Black Spoons
* Band Website: Proton Proton