• The Passion of the Weiss
  • Gorilla vs. Bear
  • Greencine Daily
  • Music Is Art
  • Shake Your Fist
  • Big Stereo
  • The New Yorker
  • The Torture Garden
  • Ear Farm
  • J'ai la cassette à la maison
  • The Hater
  • The Yellow Stereo
  • Movie City Indie
  • Fader
  • Covert Curiosity
  • Chromewaves
  • Sucka Pants
  • AV Club
  • Tinyways
  • Palms Out
  • Girish Shambu
  • So Much Silence
  • Heart On A Stick
  • Untitled
  • Sixeyes
  • The Documentary Blog
  • Contrast Podcast
  • Fecal Face
  • Quick, Before It Melts
  • Muzzle of Bees
  • La Blogothèque
  • The Rawking Refuses To Stop
  • Music For Kids Who Can't Read Good
  • indieWIRE
  • Gimme Tinnitus
  • Conscientious
  • Toothpaste For Dinner
  • Cable & Tweed
  • Culture Bully
  • Oceans Never Listen
  • Juxtapoz
  • I Am Fuel, You Are Friends
  • Subinev
  • Bookslut
  • Filles Sourires
  • Berkeley Place
  • Get Underground
  • Nah Right
  • Motel de Moka
  • Raven Sings The Blues
  • Fact
  • Missing Toof
  • Badical Beats
  • Clap Cowards
  • Chuckmore
  • Anthem
  • It's the right thing to do
  • Something is wrong here, something is terribly wrong
  • There ain't no life for me on land
  • The greatest #8: The Dreaming
  • Still I walk in darkness
  • Home of the cheesesteak, the beef piled sky high
  • Blogiversary #2
  • Blood rain
  • The best 15 films of 2007
  • The best 30 albums of 2007
  • The best 30 singles of 2007
  • The best 30 songs of 2007
  • The Greatest #6: Veedon Fleece
  • Behind the blog: Blogs Are For Dogs
  • It's winter again and New York's been broken
  • Blogiversary
  • Up high and ugly: Xiu Xiu MP3s
  • The Greatest #2: New Skin For The Old Ceremony
  • Behind the blog: The Passion of the Weiss
  • The best 15 films of 2006
  • Good clean fun: Clean Guns MP3s
  • Behind the blog: Music Is Art
  • United 93
  • The best 30 albums of 2006
  • The best 30 songs of 2006
  • The best 30 singles of 2006
  • The chapter in my life entitled San Francisco
  • The Up Series
  • Review #4: Ys by Joanna Newsom
  • Happy Yom Kippur
  • Rock bottom riser: Smog MP3s
  • Justin Ringle
  • Dan McGee
  • Sebastian Krueger, pt. 2
  • Sebastian Krueger, pt. 1
  • Bry Webb
  • Greg Goldberg, pt. 2
  • Greg Goldberg, pt. 1
  • Benoît Pioulard, pt. 2
  • Benoît Pioulard, pt. 1
  • Kevin O'Connor
  • Conrad Standish
  • Chris Bear
  • Owen Ashworth
  • Andrew Bujalski
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Brooklyn, NY

    The MP3s available here are for sampling purposes. Please support the artists by buying their albums and going to their shows. If you are the artist or label rep and don't want an MP3 featured, let me know. Links will otherwise stay live for about two weeks before they vanish into the ether.

    If you'd like to send music, art, writing or promo material for consideration, email me at nerdlitter[at]yahoo[dot]com. This site is designed in Firefox and may not look optimal in other browsers. You can get Firefox here.

    Powered by Blogger

    Friday, November 09, 2007

    It's a long way home when you're trying to find your way



    It's been a year of revisiting and reevaluation, so I suppose it's fitting I found myself back in Bangkok. Last November, it became the first city I had been to in Asia. Now ten months later, traveling through the continent's southeastern bloc, I suddenly found myself back in its heady mix. When our itinerary was still in its infancy, I hadn't been particularly psyched about returning. I enjoyed the Thai capital well enough the first time, but going back carried an air of "been there, done that." I didn't want to pass up the potential highlights of Seoul or Vientiane or Hanoi, none of which made our final cut, in order to retread old ground.

    But as our plane touched down on Suvarnabhumi Airport, I was growing progressively more excited. As our neon-pink cab spirited us down the highway, past a proud, idiosyncratic cityscape and swarms of royal-yellow shirts (worn on Mondays especially to honor King Bhumibol), I was getting practically giddy. (Or as people who know me will tell you, as giddy as I get.) It felt like a homecoming of sorts, a known entity in a litany of unknowns. At the same time, there was a wariness too, because I had remembered Bangkok as overwhelming and intense. Last year, I had been staying near the Victory Monument, where bodies clogged the narrow streets and frantic intersections at all hours. I thought of it as a circus, a zoo, an Asian Gotham--fast, polluted, delicious, lively, sprawling, thrilling, exhausting.

    What a difference ten months make. This time around, Evan and I stayed pretty far off the grid in a northern outlet a fifteen-minute walk from the Saphan Kwai Skytrain stop. Our hostel was among my favorites of the trip, because it was secluded and peaceful. A quality restaurant in the back served all my favorite traditional Thai dishes--curries, kee mao, fishcakes--at no more than seventy baht for an entree (slightly over two American dollars). Most mornings, I'd just laze around, sitting by their bathtub-sized pool, downing bottles of Tiger beer to wash down the sweet, piquant chili-pepper heat. I'd hang out listening to the German and Scottish accents intermingling, while I wrote stories in a travel-battered notebook. The irony wasn't lost on me that a resort town like Phuket proved stressful and annoying, while I'd stumbled upon true relaxation in a nonstop metropolis of millions.

    When I did venture out, everything about Bangkok seemed freshly wondrous. Part of the reason was that I now knew which areas to avoid (seedy-to-the-max Pat Pong at night, for one) and what I should expect. With a second visit, I was able to custom-make my trip much like a playlist, cutting out the filler tracks, the awful skits and the misplaced experiments. When I went to the backpacker neighborhood, Khao San Road, I knew to leave after a few hours. The novelty of it wore off fast just as I knew one quick, sociological stroll past the red-lit Soi Cowboy was plenty. On the other hand, I also grasped I just had to head back to Polo Fried Chicken for another round of their incredible poultry, to stroll around the green expanses of Lumpini Park, and to take over the remotely located Khrua Rommai for another belt-testing feast. And of course, as anyone that spends even an hour in Bangkok will understand, I also knew the street food was an unmissable event. Every new street brought new smokes, new stinks, new stimuli to inhale. Food nuts there will rightfully overload on the sheer breadth of skewers, noodles, tropical fruits, raw meats, teas, desserts, stews and seafood that just a block-long walk can yield.

    On my first visit, I was sure that five days in Bangkok was plenty for me. I was ready to move on, needing a break from the bustle, and anticipating seeing what else Thailand had in store. However, on this return trip, I would've happily stayed behind a few more weeks. With no pressure to see any more sights or be awed by any more temples, I was free to roam as a local would. I was free to grow attached, even nostalgic, and to view the city through a wider, more informed lens. Now I understand that Bangkok is everything I first thought it was, up to and including overwhelming and intense, but it can be intimate and calm as well. It can be inviting and revitalizing, if you just slow down and give yourself the time to look.

    * MP3: "You Gotta Feel It" - Spoon from Kill The Moonlight [Buy it]

    * Also: On another note, this week, I had the chance to hang out with some former Stylus magazine writers as they were performing the last rites on their publication. It was your expected battle royale of debating The Blueprint vs. Reasonable Doubt, Manitoba vs. Caribou, and just how overrated the Avalanches are. If your eyeballs need a momentary rest from this here blog, definitely check out Jeff Weiss' much-beloved The Passion of the Weiss at its new home and the more recent development Flashes of Quincy as Tal gets it started over there. Oh, and what the hell, here's Barry's most canonical essay for good measure too. RIP Stylus...

    Comments on "It's a long way home when you're trying to find your way"

     

    Blogger Passion of the Weiss said ... (12:17 PM) : 

    Salt Water Taffy!

     

    Anonymous Miss Bangkok Hotels said ... (12:49 AM) : 

    I can't deny that you have very good idea. By the way, from my experience of Bangkok trip. I think that looking for accommodation around Sukhumvit are is the good idea because Sukhunvit is in the heart of the shopping district, both in terms of large department stores and the various stalls lining both sides of the road. The various side-streets provide a proliferation of nightlife venues. For the renowned and well-known spots, you will need to walk onwards past the Asok crossroads to Sukhumvit Soi 21 or Soi Cowboy. This area also offers a wide selection of cuisine to choose from, both in terms of air-conditioned high-end restaurants and open air restaurants offering quite reasonable prices.

     

    Anonymous Poker Betting Strategy said ... (5:55 PM) : 

    Easier on turns!

     

    post a comment